> Nope, I meant the process described here:

http://livedocs.adobe.com/flex/3/html/help.html?content=createevents_3.html

Howard, I read the docs before posting to the group but it does not
provide the answer for what I am looking.

> But I think Manish's answer is the easier approach.

Neither does Manish's answer.

I do not know the type of event that I am trying to catch. All I know
is that it inherits MyEvent.
I cannot write addEventListener("foo", commonHandler), since I do not
know what string developer will use for event type; it can be "foo",
"baz" or "chooseyourown".
I am writing a library that I would like other developers to extend. I
would like to handle event that some other developer wrote extending
my base event. The fact that he extended my base event class should be
a criteria I should use to handle the event.