Thanks for the reply.  To be very specific...

I'm trying for any way to achieve this: parentDocument.currentAC (in app)
= presentationsSlidesAC (in component), so the main application.mxml has
the currentAC updated. (Loose, tight, whatever.)

Here's the DropLabel.mxml component code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<mx:Label xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml";
text="{data.pTitle}"
dragEnter="draggedInto(event)"
dragDrop="testDrop(event)"
click="clickHandler(event)"
width="220" textAlign="left" color="#ffffff"
fontSize="12">

<mx:Metadata>
[Event('presentationSelected')]
</mx:Metadata>

<mx:Script>
<![CDATA[

import mx.collections.ArrayCollection;

import mx.controls.Alert;
import mx.core.DragSource;
import mx.managers.DragManager;
import mx.events.DragEvent;

//import flash.data.SQLResult;
//import flash.filesystem.File;
//import flash.data.SQLStatement;
//import flash.data.SQLConnection;
//import flash.events.SQLEvent;
//import flash.events.SQLErrorEvent;

private function draggedInto(event:DragEvent):void

{
DragManager.acceptDragDrop(this);
}

private function testDrop(event:DragEvent):void { if
(event.dragSource.hasFormat("items"))

{

var itemsArray:Array = event.dragSource.dataForFormat("items") as Array;
// breakpoint, examine itemsArray[0]

//Do sql stuff here, which works fine
Alert.show(itemsArray[0].sTitle + '\nadded to\n' + this.text);

[Bindable]
private var presentationsSlidesAC:ArrayCollection;

//public var selectedPresentation:Object;

private function clickHandler(event:MouseEvent):void

{
//Do sql stuff here, works fine (requery via SELECT), the result is in an
arrayCollection called presentationsSlidesAC

//I'm trying to simply get this assignment.
//parentDocument.currentAC = presentationsSlidesAC;

}

]]>
</mx:Script>

</mx:Label>