This is a very annoying error that appears to have a zillion different
causes - all it means is that something went wrong when flex tried to
execute your code - it could mean that the file was not found or it
could mean that it bombed for some reason.

After hunting around on the web for endless hours, I figured out that
the only way to resolve this error is to debug the webservice or
function call by typing in the url directly.

In my case, It turned out to be the simple fact that I copied over the
wrong (buggy) file to my server thanks to the way that flexbuilder
caches source code to my local host.