This *is* possible.

In your html-template directory, locate the index.template.html file.
 In the file, locate these lines of code (should be around Lines
90-thru-100, assuming you haven't modified this file):

====== CODE =======
  } else {  // flash is too old or we can't detect the plugin
    var alternateContent = 'Alternate HTML content should be placed
here. '
====== /CODE ======

Immediately before the line with the " } else {", add the following:

====== CODE =======
  document.THE_NAME_OF_YOUR_MAIN_MXML_FILE.focus();

In your main MXML file, add the following to the creationComplete
attribute:

stage.focus = YOUR_MASKED_INPUT;

That should do it.  Your users won't be forced to click in the browser
to begin typing.

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "markgoldin_2000"