Wow yeah that would depend on a lot of things. Some thoughts that help
me narrow down prospects like that:

Am I doing all of the subcomponents in MXML? If so I could manage it
with States perhaps using addChild. Pass the state in on
instantiation/show/creationComplete, etc.
Am I doing all of the subcomponents in AS3? Then I can dynamically
instantiate things on the fly depending on those requirements.
Whether or not I actually use the states tags, are their actual "states"
with shared components? If so I might make a set of flags. If flag x is
present, add component x, or if y is present, add y.

But it depends on how detailed it needs to be, and how convoluted the
solution might be. It might be better not to put it ALL in one
component, but have one component that loads subsections as well. It all
depends on what you need. And, just a caveat, I am not a Flex guru. They
might pine in with much better solutions.

Michael