I'd echo what others have said; I didn't know AS 3 before doing Flex 3. Flex
has helped me learn AS. If you spend the time to look at examples on the web
and ask questions here, it will all make sense. Programming is programming; you
still have iterative and conditional statements; still have functions (now
called methods in AS). Just the syntax/architecture are a little different if
you're coming from a non-object oriented programming language.

- Alex C