I have a series of tabs and I use the "show" event in the individual
components.  Then I keep a "needsReloading" boolean value that is based upon
event data from a controller.  If the tab is selected, the show event kicks in
and the data is reloaded based upon the needsReloading boolean.

Not sure if that is what you are looking for but I hope it helps.

Geoff.