geoff is dead on.  There are a probably 100 ways to do what you want done.
states/transitions, event listeners, adding and removing the children via
actionscript and leaving in your initApp().

But, yeah, the least amnt of code (depending on the framework you're using)
would probably be adding this to your mxml:  show="initApp()"