Ok, I see what you're saying. So here's the constructor for my component that
is responsible for all this:

public function CreateAcctDialog()
{
                        super();
                        init();
}

...and init():

private function init():void
                {
                        msgString = "<b>The account " + this.acctName + " has
been created </b>"
}

and the last part:
content.htmlText = msgString;

This comes out as: The account null has been created.

I thought the init() method would handle the proper setting of this var.....