Yes, a mushroom indeed - well put!  By the way, I found your posts about
your fun with the various ADG item renderers quite informative.  Though you
did leave me wishing for some source code of the working examples.

The problem here is that this data serves to link up different parts of the
UI.  It's so that many different pieces can look in one place and hook to
one set of variables.  It also serves as abstraction.  I have a chart that I
can instantiate any number of copies of (with different views of the data,
etc.)  I don't want this chart to have to have knowledge of this one fixed
grid.  The grid is also reused in a couple of different ways, so i don't
want the grid to be hardcoded to the chart.

It's the perils of abstraction and modularization.

--
Jason