Hello,

I have a TextInput, say, for user to type in to search something. After the
user presses enter Key, I want the TextInput to clear the user input text while
still staying in focus, so that the user can continue to type in other words.

I had a hard time to do this for a TextInput (either Gumbo or Flex 3, although
they seemingly behave differently.)

For mx:TextInput, I am not even able to clear the user input text by handling
the "enter" event:

private function mxTI_handleEnter(event:FlexEvent):void
                {
                        trace("mxTI_handleEnter");
                        mx.controls.TextInput(event.currentTarget).text = "";
                }

Doesn't do anything, even though the setter for text value does get called.
Same thing for mx.controls.TextInput(event.currentTarget).htmlText= "";

For s:TextInput, setting text property to "" does clear the user text but I
lost caret inside the TextField in the TextInput. I have to click the TextInput
to regain focus in order to enter something.

BTW, I am not sure if this behavior is something expected from user experience
point of view since I looked at Google, Yahoo! and Bing, all of them did the
same thing: once you pressed enter, the search textinput lost focus. You would
have to regain focus for the textinput to do another search.

Sorry for the long text.... Hope this makes sense. Anyhow, is this something
doable? Thanks.