Works fine for me.I just tried it in both 9.0.124 and 10 players:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml"; layout="absolute"
xmlns:local="*">
    <mx:Script>
        <![CDATA[
            import mx.controls.Label;
            import mx.controls.Alert;
            override protected function childrenCreated():void
            {
                if(this.hasOwnProperty("foo"))
                {
                    this["foo"]();