_____

From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:flexcod...@yahoogroups.com] On
Behalf Of Paul Andrews
Sent: Wednesday, August 12, 2009 9:33 PM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [flexcoders] *** So you think you know ActionScript? (Read
original post first) ***

Dave Glasser wrote:
> Consider this code snippet:

> var xmlList:XMLList = xml.inner;
> trace(xmlList == null);
>
> What does the trace statement output, true or false, and why?
>
> Please provide an answer without running the code (of course) and, better
yet, without consulting any documentation, or any of the other answers that
may have been posted already (if you read the list in chronological order.)
Pretend it's a job interview question and you have to give it your best shot
off the top of your head.

> And also, if you don't mind, don't top-post your answer, so that if
someone does read your answer before the original post, they might get a
chance to answer without having seen yours first.

xmlList is set to point at somthing which isn't a list, so I think the
trace statement will not be reached. That's my 02:31AM thought..

All e4x expressions return an XMLList. It can be empty but is never a null.
Besides, the characters. "null" in a text node are just a string.  "null" in
an AS comparison is a special value.  The trace will display false.
Trace("xmllist.text() =="null" );  //would return true.

Tracy Spratt,

Lariat Services, development services available