This is an old story with ComboBox & selectedIndex. It does not count the fact
that binding on SelectedIndex could come well before dataProvider property
assignment, so it simply resets itself every time it has dataProvider property
being updated.
I have rewritten the ComboBox class to make it working properly with
dataProviders.

http://mitek.id.au/blog/2008/10/28/combobox-madness-continues/
http://mitek.id.au/blog/2008/08/18/combobox-selecteditem-problem/
http://mitek.id.au/blog/2008/06/09/unselect-in-combobox/