John,

Though your code is in ActionScript, you should just be able to use the MXML
WindowedApplication tag just at the very top-level, and initialize your main
ActionScript UI within an <mx:Script> tag.

Something like:

<mx:WindowedApplication xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml";
  applicationComplete="init();">
        <mx:Script>
                <![CDATA[
                        private function init():void
                        {
                                // Fire up all your AS stuff here
                        }
                ]]>
        </mx:Script>
</mx:WindowedApplication>

Finally, I left out a step (4) in my previous message.  Steps 1-3 are
sufficient to run your AIR app in the debugger, but to distribute your AIR
application you typically need to generate and sign a .air file.  Flex Builder
can do that; from the raw SDK, you should check out the adt tool.

Hope this helps,
Michael Portuesi