Developing Adobe AIR 1.5 Applications with Flex:
See section "Creating your first AIR application with the Flex SDK"

See the para "Write the application code"

"Note: SWF-based AIR applications can use a main class defined either with MXML
or with Adobe® ActionScript® 3.0. This example uses an MXML file to define its
main class. The process for creating an AIR application with a main
ActionScript class is similar. Instead of compiling an MXML file into the SWF,
you compile the ActionScript class file. When using ActionScript, the main
class must extend flash.display.Sprite."

Also see "Create the AIR application descriptor file"