I'm an Adobe Certified Instructor and I can tell you that the instructor makes all of the difference.

I'm not sure where you took your class but my former employer Fig Leaf Software is one of the best providers of onsite and hands-on training.

I think self paced training is good, but it lacks the interaction with an instructor. If you can afford training I suggest something like lynda.com to augment the class. You should read and watch videos so you can challenge your instructor...

Just my two cents.
-Jason