Muzak, thank you for your help. However, I have already tried [RemoteClass]
(which I mentioned in the original post). I also looked at the link that you
provided and decided to try more combinations, but none worked. I have tried
[RemoteClass] with and w/o [Bindable], [RemoteClass(alias="ByteArrayPlus")],
and I made sure to use my class beforehand. In all cases I can get a custom
class to retain its type, but ByteArrayPlus always gets read as ByteArray from
the SharedObject.

I believe this may be a problem peculiar to ByteArray, but I don't know exactly
why that would be so.

Again, the challenge is this: make any class that extends ByteArray, write it
to a SharedObject (to the disk), read it from the SharedObject, and have it
retain its class. I know it sounds straightforward, but I cannot get it to work.

--Geoff