Yes I did try a simple case.  I put some code that causes a null pointer
exception into a screen's onCreationComplete handler.  I see the traceback
inside the debugger but nothing when running the program without the debugger.

There seems to be a lot of confusion about this issue, and also just about the
terminology to talk about it.  I wonder if it's really just a Mac vs. Windows
issue?  In other kinds of software development it's common to see differences
across platforms, but it's much less common with Flex.

What version of the Flash player are you running?  I was thinking maybe it was
something that worked with version 9 and got broken with version 10.