So, I have been studying the flex source and I see a lot of metadata statements
in the component class definitions.

Am I correct in saying that the metadata is there for Flex Builder only? From
what I have read, the metadata is there so that the events, effects, etc, can
be accessed from mxml as tag attributes.

It seems to me, that the events, effects, styles, etc become available in pure
AS3 by simply importing the proper classes and using the appropriate methods.

Is this the correct interpretation of the code, or am I missing something?