Nevermind...figures it out. I am a moron. Just extended the LinkButton
(to MyLinkButton) to add my own variable. Split the function off to its
own to change the stack order, and used the e.target.index (index being
my own custom variable) and it works fine.

On 2/14/2010 8:41 AM, Wally Kolcz wrote:
> Ok, I am requesting the collection brain power to get over this mental
> hump of how to add dynamic buttons and have them control a view stack of
> modules.
>
> I have 4 different portals for kids, siblings, parents, and hospitals.
> When the user logs in, it finds their type and loads an  XML document
> containing module file names and button names. Each portal contains
> different number of modules and depending on the XML document, that can
> change.
>
> Right now I am looping through the XML and creating LinkButtons with the
> <name>  node being added as the label. Problem is that I want to then
> load the modules in a viewstack and  use the buttons to switch through
> the stack using the index of the loop to tell the button what
> selectedIndex of the stack to show. (I.E. the first loop, i = 0, so the
> MouseClick eventlistener will set the viewstack's selectedIndex to 0
> (the first level). I want the module to match up with the button. Hope
> that makes sense....
>
> Anyways I am adding an embedded function to the MouseClick eventlistener
> I am associating with each LinkButton before I addChild() it to the
> application. Problem is, the index I am associating with it is wrong
> when I attempt to trace it.
>
> Ok, all that to show you this and hope you can help me. What I want is
> to loop through the XML document, create LinkButtons with the label from
> the<name>  node and then, when clicked, change the ViewStack (appVS) to
> the index that matches the current loop. I am up for both modifying my
> code (or pointing out what is wrong) or a better idea.
>
> public function init():void {
>                   for (var i:int = 0; i<  moduleList.module.length(); i++){
>                       var button:LinkButton = new LinkButton;
>                       button.label = moduleList.module[i].name;
>                       button.setStyle("fontSize","12");
>                       button.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK,
> function():void{appVS.selectedIndex=i;});
>                       navACB.addChildAt(button, i);
>                   }
>               }
>
> The first button should be created, put in the 0 space on the navACB,
> and move the ViewStack to the 0 level when clicked.
> Next should be created, put it in the 1 space on the navACB, then move
> the ViewStack to the 1 level when clicked...and so on.
>
> Thanks!

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: