I have an extremely large enterprise application (24 modules and counting) that
does not use any framework. If you can discipline yourself in the way you
organize your code, I don't really see the need for a framework. It just adds
complexity in my view.

I would recommend starting with modules if you see the need may be coming later
on. I started with a monolithic app while I was learning Flex and had to change
over to modules six months in. That was no fun I can tell you. Now that each
part is in a module it makes it much easier for other team members to modify
the code. It is also a lot easier to follow the logic. I would also recommend a
versioning system - we use Subversion.