Referring back to your lessons is no different to what you would do if you were
learning any new skill (eg learning English or French). You will keep doing
that until you become familiar....and then you move to more complex stuff.

My suggestion would be keep looking at examples, try them out. Then see how you
can apply them. When you get stuck, post a question...see if its in scope of
AS3 capabilities.

Like you, I came into programming with absolutely no background in IT. So its
definately possible. A logical brain helps.
4 weeks is nothing.