With the swf format being documented, and available, in theory there could be
plenty of different implementation of the Flash Player.

 But, none of the alternate players out there are 100%.  Making their source
available, it'd probably bring a flood of alternate players.

 Since the Flash Player is available for free, I'm unclear how open sourcing it
would affect revenue.  If there were more Flash Player options, I think there
would be more demand for tools to create Flash Applications.  On the flip side,
if there were a lot of inconsistent implementations of the player, it may hurt
the platform as a whole.