Hi all,

I'm building a Flex client for a fully-authenticated server with a REST-like
API. All communication with the server will be over SSL/TLS. All requests
must be authenticated. What I've discovered, by Googling and by trying my
own code, is that Flex makes things very, very difficult for such a client.
The problems all center around the fact that my Basic Auth headers get
removed.

The only way I've found to get my headers over to the server is by:

   - Switching from using HTTPService to URLLoader (the former seems to
   strip all headers, no matter what)
   - Changing all my GET's to POST's (because headers are always stripped
   from GET requests)
   - Adding a dummy body to my POST's so that they don't get turned back
   into GET's (why, for God's sake?) and have their headers stripped.

I also need to upload files --with authentication. Headers are stripped from
FileReference.upload() calls also. I'm aware of this bug:
https://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FP-1044 It appears that a fix is in the
works, which is encouraging, but it completely baffles me that this issue
has been ignored for so very long.

I also need to display images in my client that are served by my server
--with authentication. I have have mx:Image elements with "source"
properties bound to URL's that point to my server. I know of no way to turn
these implicit GET requests into POSTs and to then somehow insert my
authentication header into them.

At this point I'm really feeling beaten down by how difficult this all
is. Does nobody else write clients for authenticated servers? This seems so
basic. I've been a fan of Flex for years, but this is causing me to question
whether it's ready for real-world RIA's.

I'm now considering something desperate like trying to write a Tomcat filter
that looks for credentials in a URL parameter and manufactures an
Authentication header. I don't know Tomcat well, so I'm not sure whether
filters can run before authentication is done. If that works, though, I can
rendering. The fact that we use SSL/TLS would save us here, since the URL
parameters containing the credentials would be encrypted along with
everything else.

Somebody please tell me that I'm missing something obvious.

Thanks much