Hello

I feel your pain. Just recently we struggled through the same issues. One needs
to get very creative to get some real HTTP support out of Flex and/or the
browser plugins. There is no way to talk to some "generic http/rest" server
with Flex (perhaps 4 is better, have not tried)

The nice thing is that writing this Tomcat filter will proof to be peanuts once
you start with it and it does make a lot possible without having to change your
application logic.

To conclude...you are not missing something obvious as far as I know...that
just the way Flex has been working for as long as it exists

Peter