In my main swf, I have a (CS4) library item with the class of Dog. It's just a
movie clip with a picture of a dog inside it.

In the sub swf, there is a also a dog on the stage.

It's necessary that the item in the sub swf be in the library or components
panel, because my designer likes dogs. He likes to place them on the stage,
rotate them, and play with them all day.

It's a big Dog. And there are many sub swfs. Is there a way to exclude Dog from
the sub swfs?

Runtime Shared Libraries is not an option--too flaky. And runtime loading of
assets is not an option either, unless it can be made compatible with WYSIWYG.

I tried this:

1. Creating a dog.swc component, using it, and then putting it in the external
library path of the sub swf.
2. Putting the dog swc in the folder with main.fla.
These did not work. The big Dog remained either way.

I looked into this:
Using -load-externs and -link-report compiler options for an actionscript
project. But there is not link report for .flas, and no compiler options
either, and jsfl does not seem to provide workarounds.

Is it even possible (without using Runtime Shared Libraries) to exclude symbols
from compiled flas?

Thanks!

Matt