Though the changes seem small, alpha, asthetics, etc they can amass to
something huge. Our project has experienced many upgrade pains and took much
longer than anticipated. There are benefits of course but you shouldn't
underestimate the time to upgrade.

Hmm one point. You can build your project with Flash Builder 4 using the SDK
of your choice, be it 3.5 or 4.0, etc. You don't have to use the latest SDK.
The issues mentioned above are from going from SDK 3 to SDK 4. Best wishes,

JP