Thanks for the insight. I think that maybe I am not being as clear as I need to
be. Apologies for this.

The itemrenderer has two colors for selected and not selected (blue/red). When
an itemrenderer is clicked, the background color changes to red and a popup is
launched, via PopUpManager, containing a larger version of the selected image
and the 2 navigation buttons(Next/Prev). Clicking, for example, the 'Next'
button in the popup will load the next image from the dataprovider in the
popup, however, it will not select the next associated thumbnail(itemrenderer).
This is the core issue. I need to know how to select the next (or previous)
itemrenderer in the datacontainer once one of the navigation buttons is
selected. This needs to be done without actually clicking on the itemrenderer.

Hope these details clear up some of the confusion.

Thank you!