Douglas, Thanks...

So as a rule of thumb, add all children that I know I need up front and
show/ hide them using visibility in e.g. onMouseOver/ Out.

Or set a dirty flag and then invalidateDisplayList(), then from within
updateDisplayList(), check the dirty flags and addChild( x ) in there...

cool.
thanks!

p.s. yeah I like it :)