Even though it looks like you have an answer to your question I'd like to ask
why you would want that?

It is always a much better practice to inject what you want into the item
renderer instead of trying to reach back out to the original owner to get it.
As Item Renderers are recycled this leads to major overhead, the inabilty to
re-use the item renderer as well as tight coupling.

You may want to reconsider your use case and look at a different way of doing
it. Telling us what you are trying to achieve may yield a best practices
approach.