HI Rich..

1) you'd have to have an event handler listen for the pinch gesture and then
scale your grid based on how much you want it to scale/shrink

http://paultrani.com/2011/02/touch-events-and-gestures-on-mobile/  ( look at
pinch/zoom)

2) you there are a few methods to handle the DPI variation, we generally target
the primary device and set our application dpi to that ( for example I'm
building an app for a 7" android right now and have my DPI set to 166), there
is quite a good article here on handling DPI

http://opensource.adobe.com/wiki/display/flexsdk/DPI+Auto+Scaling+for+Density+Independent+Mobile+Apps

Cheers
Grant

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com<mailto:flexcoders%40yahoogroups.com>, Richard