If you embed a bytearray, the compiler will want to link in a ByteArrayAsset
for it, so you will need to link it in or provide it in an RSL.  In your
command-line, the definition for ByteArrayAsset is somehow being designated as
external.

One tidbit:  In Frame1 of a SWF, all dependencies are linked in regardless of
linkage type (rsl, merged, external).  It is Frame2 where the linkage matters.
Could that be a factor?

Check the linkage for flex.swc.  I think ByteArrayAsset is in there.