I think I use this syntax, but I'm not sure:

UserAA.mxml

            <components:UserAA_Grid

                  id="UserAAGrid"

                  _inputToDate="{toDate}"

                  _inputFromDate="{fromDate}"/>

UserAA_Grid.mxml

            // these are accepted to this component from UserAA.mxml

            [Bindable]

            public var _inputToDate:Date;

            [Bindable]

            public var _inputFromDate:Date;