From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com <flexcoders@yahoogroups.com> on behalf of Tom
McNeer <tmcn...@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 19, 2014 7:55 AM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [flexcoders] Original application files lost

Hi,

I won't go into the gory details, but despite backups and version control
systems, the source files for a very important application were trashed. The
files are not recoverable from version control.

After much work with file recovery tools, most of the original files were
restored. But many of them are versions that are several generations back in
terms of revisions.

Obviously, this is a bit of a disaster.

I have attempted to decompile the current application with the tools from
SoThink and Trellix. In both cases, the decompiler crashed, using both Windows
and Mac versions of both applications. Trellix development has reproduced the
problem and say they will out it on a bug list.

Which doesn't help much right now, obviously.

I have also attempted decompiling the application with the open source JPEXS
Free Flash Compiler. This appeared to work, in that nothing crashed and I was
able to export lots of files.

These files - even if they're correct - are all ActionScript, I assume the
intermediate AS files that the compiler creates as it works.

I have created an ActionScript project from those files and attempted
compilation. But evidently the relationships of the classes are somehow lost.
The compiler appears to only look at the file which represents the core of the
original Flex application file, and errors out immediately.

Thus, short of trying to reproduce lots of code, with lots of logic, from
documentation and the running application, I don't know what to try next.

Obviously, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

--
Thanks,

Tom

Tom McNeer