From: "Roger Gonzalez" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <flexcoders@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, November 03, 2005 12:03 PM
Subject: RE: helper object? what's that? (was Re: [flexcoders] To
code-behind or not to code-behind?)

See my previous reply for a concrete example.  I just meant "an extra
object that encapsulates a well defined piece of functionality,
aggregated into your application".  I wasn't alluding to any particular
GoF-blessed pattern, but if you really need to get pedantic, the
application is probably best described as using the bridge pattern.
Helpers can be anything from flyweights to factories.

I personally consider it bad mojo to have the application's
implementation details exposed, so I abstract out pieces of
functionality through interfaces, build helper classes that implement
those interfaces, and only pass the interfaces around.  This is a bit of
leftover habit from keeping gigantic C++ apps from turning into
dependency hairballs.

An additional benefit is that you can then move those reusable bits off
into RSLs, decoupling development.  If you only change implementation
code but keep the interface constant, you don't need to recompile
clients of the interface.

This sort of development has some small development overhead in extra
interfaces and whatnot, but pays off as your code scales.

-rg

http://us.click.yahoo.com/A77XvD/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/nhFolB/TM