De : flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] la
part de Dave Wolf
Envoyé : jeudi 13 avril 2006 23:47
À : flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Objet : [flexcoders] Re: **JOB **Flex developer needed ASAP (Contract to
hire!!).

Hey Jason,

I am going to try my best to inline my answers here.

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Hawryluk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Dave, I fully realize the potential of Flex to let you crank out an
> application quickly. You have a "Team" of people this is a
requirement for
> "one" contractor. The thing that got me was the �rollout� part of the
> demand.

You're right.  We do have "teams" here at Cynergy.  I think its worth
noting though that in the applications I am discussing, these teams
have ranged from 1 to 3 people.  I've seen posting in the past where
people talk about their projects with 30-40 devs.  I cannot honestly
fathom what problem set they're trying to solve.

> I agree that when you fully understand the domain of the intended
�user� of
> the product then yes that is quite possible. Having no idea of the user
> base, and their goals, infrastructure, budgets, requirements, and
resources,
> how is this assumption possible?

It's of course not.  The key is to develop a process by which you can
extract those requirements as a part of the development process
itself, rather then some incredibly extended requirements gathering
phase.  First off, the longer that phase takes the less relevant the
data you collect actually becomes.  Secondly dependant on how you
collect it, (traditional JAD approach) the value of what you learn can
be pretty suspect.

> Cranking out a product that fit�s someone�s specifications, and
creating a
> tool that is goal/task oriented, and helps the �user� accomplish
what they
> need/want in a coherent fashion, are 2 different things.

Could't agree more.  I think if you interviewed the folks we've done
this development for, they'd tell you what they got was the latter.

> A certain percentage of the time required before any code is written is
> spent interviewing management, users, understanding the goals and
tasks that
> a product needs to fulfill.

Our approach here at Cynergy is to not view these as distinct phases.
Rather to incorporate the domain experts into the development process
from moment one, in the most transparant way possible.  We accomplish
this by a development approach we call LookFirst, but really is a
"front to back" development approach whereby the requirements
gathering and "interviews" are done in real time with the development
of the user experience.  The actual creaative act of development is
used as a requirements gathering process.

BTW at this point I should mention that we are currently writing a
series for Adobe's DevNet where we will go through our approach and
how to use it yourself.

> A software program should not be something that enforces a work
method, and
> because the person usually in charge of writing specs is IT (more
often then
> not, that person has not done the necessary foot work). What I mean
is, you
> end up with a product that just fills a business need from a management
> perspective, and does not take into account segmented departmental user
> goals.

I contend a long interview and requirements gathering phase does
nothing to alleviate this.   There is nothing intrinsic in the JAD
process that fixes this shortcoming.

> So, sure cranking out data entry forms, or lists of data that fulfill a
> business �need� is rapid. However, is that a solution that will help
the
> user do their job? Will that solution allow different user types
> (commercial, management, technical, administrative) to fulfill their
role in
> the organization as efficiently as possible? Will the program have a
memory
> for example so it can make assumptions based on past user interaction?

Well, if I had assumed we were talking about simple CRUD screens I
would have said hours or days, not weeks for a prototype....

As I mentioned before, from moment one the domain experts are sitting
right next to an interactive designer, a RIA developer and a data
modeller.  They talk to and listen to the domain experts and in real
time, right in front of them start putting together that user experience.

If you want to see a domain experts eyes light up like a kid at a
candy store, turn their wants and desires into something they can see
and touch right in front of them.  They will become animated,
interested, involved and will provide you a level of information and
requirements you couldnt have extracted in months.

> I don�t believe in creating a tool that �only� fulfils the business
> requirements from a management perspective. The users know how to do
their
> job. I would rather take the time to confirm that the product will meet
> their goals and tasks, and give them a product that helps them do it
better
> based on �real� information. Management rarely understands this.
Software
> has become a necessary evil that enforces uneducated assumptions on the
> user, instead of a pleasant, and comfortable tool that �helps� a user
do
> their job.

As do we.  Thats the whole point of this approach.

> So while you may be able to do this in 6 months rollout, and all. I
don�t
> believe one person can do this �correctly� in 6 months. Now of
course that
> all depends on the size of the application, of which we have no idea.
>
> Prototypes in weeks? Whole business in 6 months? It takes weeks just
to get
> through the interview process, identify roles, identify goals for
each role,
> tasks for each goal, and confirming this research.
>
> Your internal processes, and goals are apparently quite different
then mine.

Our goals are not.  The way we deliver those goals to our clients
indeed are.

I can only point to our successes as proof the approach works.
Whether is obvious places you can look to like our MAX Award
nomination last year, or the Fortune 100 clients we have done just
this for in the last 4 months alone.

Just as the RIA has been a disruptive technology that will re-shape
the way we look at web-based applications, so will the front-to-back
approach be a disruptive influence that reshapes the way we develop them.

We know we can deliver better software faster and at considerably less
cost to our clients by working this way.  We know when we put the user
experience first and foremost, usefulness follows naturally.

--
Dave Wolf
Cynergy Systems, Inc.

Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Office: 866-CYNERGY

> Jason Hawryluk

Then they
>   > plunk the old "needed ASAP" onto that.
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   > I smell disaster about to happen.
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   > If you read it it says prototype, ok that makes sense 6months for a
>   > prototype no problem. Then the next phrase has "rollout"?. Then
the big
>   > hook. "Since client has already defined design specs".
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   > So to summarize they have a demand for a report generator
>   "prototype" that
>   > will be "rolled" out "live" in "6months" based on the "clients
specs"
>   > authored by an individual that most likely has no knowledge of Flex
>   at all.
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   > I don't mean to be a pain but, could you please repeat the question?
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   > I just don't get it. Maybe it's just me. :)
>   >
>   > Jason

 Visit your group "flexcoders" on the web.