Tom,
    Google uses very small JavaScript libraries obsuficated to smallest size
libraries, cached, and often claims the product   is "beta". They have huge
networking infrastructure to insure highest performanc/reliability  that is
out of reach for 99% of the competition. They are delivering production
components (Toolbars, etc) not as AJAX, but activeX and plugins. If you are
building few screens with functionality that has to be delivered to billions
of people, use AJAX. If you have to build APPLICATION - with hundreds of
pages, reports, dashboards, etc. please read on.

RIA requires a lot of client side code. Compiled Framework.swc is 2MB , the
UI-only sources are over 7MB. The UI portion of framework we have written in
1999-2002 was over 3MB  - including DataGrid, Report, and 70 other controls.

Robustness and performance of JavaScript: It is too slow and there is no
machanism in the browser to insure the competeness of JavaScript downloads.
You do not get exception if JavaScript has not been loaded. There is no way
to recover other then wrap code with watchdog code and try to check if the
secondary code was loaded/try to reload otherwise. Of course, there is no
guarantee that watchdog code is loaded either.  As a result, even the
slightest problems on the network level require huge efforts on the
framework level. Even if cached, JavaScript has to be parsed and
pre-"compiled" on every page refresh. Add browser incompatibilities, typing
errors that have not been caught by compiler because there is no
compiler/strong code checking) and add really big application code base and
you will get my point.

It is all curable on the system level. For demanding applications we had to
develop following system components outside the browser (just to support
AJAX and business needed functionality missing in the browser)
1. reliable pluggable protocol on the top of HTTP(s) to support guaranteed
delivery/caching of data and code
2. cached factories for JavaScript to allow faster instantiation of
client-side javascript
3. print tempates enabler to allow full control of the printing environment
without browser limitations.
The list goes on and on

Bottom line, serious AJAX apps require Flash Player equivalent. You can try
to build it in JavaScript, but after trying for 5 years I began to think it
is unrealistic. We tried to get browser makers adopt the forementioned
enhancements, but they are pusing alternatives to AJAX of their own, so
Flash seems the only option with enough market penetration.

Sincerely,
Anatole Tartakovsky