I’d have to assume then that the request isn’t even making it to the server, in which case it must be a connection error… perhaps a security sandbox violation?

If you’re using 127.0.0.1 in your gateway URL, note that you will have to load your SWF over HTTP using this same URL. The Flash Player does not resolve host names to IPs to do a check, it’s a very strict string based match. Perhaps you were loading your SWF using “localhost” but then trying to connect somewhere using “127.0.0.1”?

Are you familiar with the trace() command and the flashlog.txt file? If not, do you have an mm.cfg file in your user directory (i.e. on windows this is typically setup by default to be C:\Documents and Settings\yourusername\flashlog.txt) with the following contents?

ErrorReportingEnable=1

TraceOutputFileEnable=1

Also, are you using the debug version of the Flash Player? You may get more information about connection errors in this console.

Pete

P.S. Are you using HTTPS by any chance? If so, then Paros Proxy is a good sniffer application that can intercept requests on the client (rather than a server side proxy), and can also let you see HTTPS traffic.