From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of judah
Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2006 3:24 PM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [flexcoders] Please Adobe. Unanswered questions, and building the community

I'd give it a bit more time. Having a beta schedule makes it difficult
with the full release coming up. On the betas I've been on the support
and questiong answering has always been spotty. This is because the
state the program is in. Bugs need to be queued, tested and then
confirmed before an answer can be given. Features are still floating
around. Once they get out of beta I think things will settle down.

Personally, I think they are doing a great job, but I know you've had
questions unanswered. The solution may be to wait and see until after
Flex 2 is released, reword the question over and over breaking it down,
or on the Adobe side have additional community TSR's (technical support
reps) on this list (which if they do add more I hope they'll announce
it). I've been to Barnes & Nobles every week checking and I know of at
least 3 new Flex 2 books coming out and two ActionScript 3 books in the
next few months. One is coming out next week. These will hopefully
answer a lot of questions.

Best Regards,
Judah

sourcecoderia wrote:
> IMHO a community is not at all built this way, any answer is better
> then no answer. For developers we ask a question if it goes without
> response we think either they are ignoring the question, can't be
> bothered, or it's a bug. Since the first thought is that they can't
> be bothered we continue to try and find a solution to the problem,
> until completely frustrated.
>
> Theses things are very important (to me at least) when choosing to
> switch from a dot net development environment to something such as
> flex. I've been working with flex for a year now, and of course I'm
> very happy with it, however I feel that the community involvement
> from adobe is rather lacking.
>
> You can't hope to build a solid community that supports it self, we
> are not the experts, you are. We need your help, and you need our
> help. But; the communication, and participation in the building of
> the community has to work both way's. I've answered far more
> questions then I have had answered, I participated in the alpha
> testing, I've reported bug's in this forum. All this I'm very willing
> to do, and continue doing. However your community support people
> could at least take the time and read the question, and either
> confirm it as a bug, not possible, or give an idea of where to look.
>
> I'm not unhappy with Flex, I'm rather impressed and energized.
> Learning a new language, and platform is difficult, and time
> consuming.
>
> Why are there no tutorials except the few you have done to get people
> up to speed, where is all the learn by example stuff, tips, general
> community building. Surly you can invest in some full time community
> support personnel.
>
> Flex is moving Adobe into a developer realm, as apposed to the
> designer realm. I think if you hope to convince the developer realm
> (a more demanding task) community involvement from Abode needs to be
> greatly increased. A couple blog entries a week will not do it. A
> couple of questions answered here, and there will not do it. We need
> to see that your behind us, that you want to help us succeed with
> your product, that you continue to listen, and that you're doing
> everything humanly possible to help get us up to speed.
>
> Flex has the potential to be more then just some other platform. In
> order to go head to head with MS, and unlock the dedicated developer
> community they've built, you need to greatly increase your community
> involvement.
>
> Hopefully in posting this I've not managed to get on the spam/ignore
> list of all Adobe support :)
>

> Here are some example things with no response, I'm sure if asked,
> every person in this forum could repost at least 1 or 2 unanswered
> questions. Any answer is better then none.
>
> Garbage collection and removeChild [Flex 2 beta 3]?

> E4X Interpreter:

> threaded=1&var=1&p=1
>
> I can't get a xml chain to bind here.
>
> [Bindable]
> [...]

"Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing."

"You can have anything you want - if you want it badly enough. You can be anything you want to be, do anything you set out to accomplish if you hold to that desire with singleness of purpose."

- Abraham Lincoln