Hi,

Let me suggest a few articles that will help you understand Flex Data
Services:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/articles/architecting_rias.html

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/articles/refactoring_flex.html

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/articles/intro_fms.html

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/articles/rpc_service.html

These are all new articles as of last week.

And, the key getting started section of the docs:
http://livedocs.macromedia.com/flex/2/docs/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp
.htm?href=00000138.html

Lots of material above.  Please let us know what you find most useful
and whether we address your questions about FDS.

As for pricing, I think we have this explained on a FAQ somewhere, but I
can't find it right now. I expect someone else from Adobe can help here.

-David
Adobe