Starting before the first panel, wrap the rest (down to the last </mx:VBox>)
in an HBox (see below). Keep in mind they wrote a lot of this book during
alpha/beta days of Flex 2. There may be some code inconsistencies
here/there.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml";
layout="absolute">