You will, no doubt, get much better answers from others as I am
working on the same things over here. But Flex plays in your browser's
session management like anything else. In other words, it sends the
same headers the browser would send when requesting something from the
server.

If you already have a "logged in" state on your website I'd say just
host your flex application on a "secured" page. That will inherit the
same authentication you use for everything else.

If you want flex itself to be the application that does the user
logging in -- i.e. having a login form in flex. Then you will have to
build that in the application.

As far as I can tell, the easiest way to force this log-in is to have
a viewstack on your main page (application perhaps) that stops on the
login form first, then switches the stack to the application after
talking to the servers to verify the user's info.

I know that's all over the place, but I hope something rings a bell
for you.