most likely the setting of the selectedIndex is what is causing that error.
Its trying to set a property to a component that doesnt exist yet.

On 1/25/07, Roger Ross <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

  Hello,

Working my way throught the "Training From the Source" turorial and
ran into this error message.

Not sure why I am getting it. I compared my code to the completed code
for the lesson and it looks the same with no problems when I compile it.

TypeError: Error #1009: Cannot access a property or method of a null
object reference.
at Dashboard/::catHandler()
at Dashboard/__catRPC_result()
at

flash.events::EventDispatcher/flash.events:EventDispatcher::dispatchEventFunction
()
at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEvent()
at
mx.rpc.http.mxml::HTTPService/
http://www.adobe.com/2006/flex/mx/internal::dispatchRpcEvent()
at
mx.rpc::AbstractInvoker/
http://www.adobe.com/2006/flex/mx/internal::resultHandler()
at mx.rpc::Responder/result()
at mx.rpc::AsyncRequest/acknowledge()
at ::DirectHTTPMessageResponder/completeHandler()
at

flash.events::EventDispatcher/flash.events:EventDispatcher::dispatchEventFunction
()
at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEvent()
at flash.net::URLLoader/flash.net:URLLoader::onComplete()

Here is a copy of the code that it has me write with the comboBox that
is to receive the data:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml";
layout="horizontal"
creationComplete="catRPC.send()">

<mx:Script>
<![CDATA[
import mx.collections.ArrayCollection;
import mx.rpc.events.ResultEvent;

[Bindable]
private var categories:ArrayCollection=new ArrayCollection();

private function catHandler(event:ResultEvent):void{
categories = event.result.catelog.category;
var catObj:Object = new Object();
catObj.name = "All";
catObj.categoryID = 0;
categories.addItemAt(catObj, 0);