Paul,

Following up on the link Shannon gave you, for a blow-by-blow on how that
design was created see the following two links:
http://onreflexion.blogspot.com/2007/01/napkin-skins-stage-one-css-styles-and.html
http://onreflexion.blogspot.com/2007/01/napkin-skins-stage-two-programmatic.html

And here is another fun example:
http://demo.quietlyscheming.com/displayShelf/index.html
with blow-by-blow and source code:
http://www.quietlyscheming.com/blog/2006/11/01/using-the-graphics-api-for-richer-flex-the-displayshelf-component-from-my-max-talk/

And another:
http://weblogs.macromedia.com/auhlmann/archives/2006/11/download_distor.cfm

Really man, you are only limited by your own imagination and skill :-)

Check out the outline of this Adobe official training class:
Flex 2: Programming the Visual Experience
http://www.adobe.com/support/training/instructor_led_curriculum/program_visual_experience.html

If you can find a training center running this class, it will be a great way
to come up to speed on how to get total control over design on your Flex 2
apps.

btw ... when you ultimately master getting the look that you want in Flex,
please do post us back a link to it (and maybe even some comments about how
you achieved it :-)

Best regards,