I should add that there was one more reason I suggested this that relates
more to your original question.

I think the best way to start with Flex is not to focus on MXML or the Flex
framework or the nice components or liquid layout so much up front, but to
focus on the As3 language first. To just start with some text programming
and implement something you've done already in another language seems to be
the best way to start feeling comfortable with it pretty quickly.

The graphics and layout and components are the thing that motivates one to
use Flex in the end, but I don't think it's the best way to get familiar
with the language and how it works. If you start out by creating your custom
components and dealing with the larger UI framework it's easy to get bogged
down with details. You find yourself focusing on style properties and
framework issues, rather than the repeatable aspects of the core language.

I think since I started looking at everything as As3 first, instead of Mxml,
I've made quicker progress as a result.