The SWF compiler when it embeds them should be flattening them. The
Fireworks PNG files are layered, but the Flash Player does not support
layered PNGs.  If I recall correctly the Fireworks PNG files have a
composite layer that is rendered by default and the swf compiler
simply pulls in that layer and discards the rest.  I could be wrong,
it has been a while (6-9 months) since I've used Fireworks, I'm a
photoshop guy.