From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Matt Wicks
Sent: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 10:18 AM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [flexcoders] Can't we access MovieClips contained in
embedded SWF's?

You need to get the object as a display object

var xxx:MovieClip = platObject.getChildByName('instancename') as
MovieClip

Matt
On 14 Feb 2007, at 16:13, Mike Anderson wrote:

        Hello all,

        I have a Flash Player 9, AS3 version of a SWF that I am bringing
into
        Flex, using the SWFLoader Component.

        Once I bring the SWF in, I am creating a MovieClip variable and
        assigning to it, the SWFLoader.content. Here is a quick code
example:

        var platObject:MovieClip = mySWFLoader.content;

        So once that assignment is made, you can execute certain
built-in
        methods available to any Flash Movie - for example:

        platObject.play();
        platObject.loaderInfo.[etc]
        And so on...

        That is all well and good - but what about MovieClips that
reside in the
        Root Timeline? In this particular SWF File, I have a MovieClip
called
        "platMovieClip" - and I am trying to access it's properties and
methods
        from within Flex. For example, I'd like to toggle the
visibility, so I
        tried this code:

        platObject.platMovieClip._visible = false;

        When I try this command, I get an error that says "the property
        platMovieClip is unknown" or something to that effect...

        If we can't access the assets that reside in SWF Files, then
what is the
        whole point of all this? Or maybe there is something that I am
        overlooking - but as far as I can tell, the platObject should
represent
        the SWF...

        Could any of you shed some light on this topic for me? This
        functionality is VERY important to the success of my website
launch.

        Thanks in advance,

        Mike