I haven't really looked into this, but have you considered generating
the reports as PDFs and then using Flash Paper to view them in Flex?
There are a lot of good resources out there for generating PDFs, it's
a very simple doc format.  The part I'm not sure about it FlashPaper
with Flex.  Also what if the email was just a link to the report in
the FlexApp?

Paul