I agree that it can be difficult to modify functionality in the
framework classes. I think that much can be done to enhance this
process, and perhaps we can help Adobe out with ideas.  I have found
that many things can be modified by thinking differently.  Some of the
design patterns that the Flex team used are new to many of us
developers. It's going to take time, hair-loss and some patience to
get things to do what you want.

... aside from this, what really burns me up is the classes declared
as final, and I know some are with good reason.  Example, I was
looking into extending URLRequest to support PUT and DELETE methods to
support our REST based Web Services.  But also URLRequest is a final
class and cannot be extended.

Anyway, I love flex.